Subject: RE: Reality (was RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:26:53 -0700

> From: Noel Chiappa [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> I have no idea exactly what it will be (maybe a free market 
> in IPv4 addresses, plus layered NAT's, to name just one 
> possibility), but there are a lot of clever people out there, 
> and *once events force them to turn their attention to this 
> particular alligator*, don't be surprised if they don't come 
> up with yet another workaround.

It's a free market qualified by force majeur.

So for example there are a number of Class A domains which would probably
fetch a significant sum if put up for open auction.

As address space scarcity begins to bite IP address squatting will become
profitable (at present it is not). More people will stock up on addresses
anticipating scarcity.

The problem here is that there are also parties that might decide that $10
million (or whatever) is rather a lot to pay for the privillege of talking
to (say) net 18 and simply start injecting the relevant routes.

This is an unacceptable outcome of course but the threat is sufficient to
lower the price of involuntary recycling of address space.

The only prediction I think can be made with confidence here is that
whatever the choice made it is not going to be a pretty one.
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf