Subject: Announcement of IAB member selection

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 07:15:53 -0500

I am pleased to announce that the 2005-2006 NomCom selection and
confirmation process to fill the IAB seat vacated by Pekka Nikander's
resignation is complete.  At this time, on behalf of the NomCom, the
new member of the IAB is:

Bert, [email-masked]

Bert will complete the remainder of Pekka's term.  The Nomcom
considered Bert's extensive travel and acquaintances with leaders and
personalities around the world.  Although there was question about
Bert's technical accomplishments, his other experience will materially
help the IAB with its representational duties.  The NomCom was also
concerned about Bert's willingness to contribute to IAB activities as
Bert is usually a silent participant in public events.  However, we
note the eloquence and clarity of reasoning Bert demonstrated on video
at IETF 65 in his congratulation to the IETF on its 20th anniversary.

A further consideration is whether Bert would be able to serve a full
term, as it has been rumored he is a candidate to replace Vint Cerf as
chair of ICANN when Vint's term expires.  His photograph count is
approaching Vint's and he has accumulated a similar number of frequent
flyer miles.  Bert was not able to commit, but indicated he has not
yet been offered the ICANN role.

The NomCom joins the rest of the IETF community in thanking Bert for
volunteering his valuable time and extraordinary skills to the IAB,
the IETF comunity and the Internet.

- Ralph Droms (chair), for the 2005-2006 IETF Nominating Committee
  April 1, 2006

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:34:40 -0800

I applaud the NomCom in this very appropriate choice -- at this particular
time, I don't think there is any better choice they could possibly have
made for the vacant IAB seat.  Bert has impressed me with his ability to
always perceive where he is most needed, and appear there as if by magic
to assist in whatever needs to be done.  I remember a thorny throughput
issue we ran across some years ago at Casa de Bandini, when Bert came
through as a trouper and helped us make headway with the problem [1].  With
that taken care of, he also showed us his famous ability to make friends
with the ladies [2].

We couldn't wish for a more well-rounded man of the world to step up to
the plate and shoulder his responsibilities today.

	Henrik

[1] http://tinyurl.com/jfsxm
[2] http://tinyurl.com/zccdt

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:20:58 +0200

> [2] http://tinyurl.com/zccdt

Or...

http://bert.secret-wg.org/Kisses/

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 22:59:00 +0200

Mark,

> http://bert.secret-wg.org/Kisses/

Yes!  There you go!

	Henrik