Subject: Seeking... IAB Executive Director

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:13:18 -0400

All,

The IAB is currently looking to appoint an Executive Director.
The Executive Director is a non-voting ex-officio member of the IAB.
(See RFC2850, the IAB's charter, for details).  We are looking for
suggestions, based on the brief  profile for the role, below.

We would like you to consider this profile and either suggest yourself
or other people that you think that would fit well in  this role by
sending mail to the IAB at [email-masked].  We do not  intend to disclose
the names of the nominees in public, but we may wish to discuss this
issue with third parties such as the Area Directors.  If you have a
problem with your name being mentioned in this context, please let us
know.

Note that this profile is written for a somewhat ideal candidate.  We
fully realize that such people are probably non-existent.  So  don't
hesitate to suggest somebody who in  your opinion would fit this  role
but might not meet all the qualifications 100 percent. Here  is the
profile:

  - Writing skills.  The Executive Director keeps and edits the minutes
    of the IAB meetings and prepares them for public dissemination.

  - Sysadmin skills.  The Executive Director handles the administration
    of the IAB websites, including the maintenance of tools such as
    Wikis,  Jabber servers, email lists, etc.

  - IETF experience.  It is desirable for the candidate to have at least
    some experience with the IETF.

  - Organizational skills.  The Executive Director serves as a
    program manager for IAB work items.  It is desirable for the
    candidate to be able to juggle many outstanding tasks simultaneously.

-  Enough time available.  For example, it is preferable that the
    candidate not be chair of more than one IETF WG, or a member
    of the IESG or IAB.

We would like to receive your comments & suggestions by April 14th
2006 and we plan to make a decision as soon as possible thereafter.
It will be helpful if you indicate in your email how you or the
suggested person fits this profile as best as possible.

Leslie Daigle, for The IAB.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:15:16 -0400

Hmm... judging from some of the responses we've had, there's
an important clarification to make here:

[I wrote:]
 >    candidate not be chair of more than one IETF WG, or a member

Every IAB member (ex officio or not) is expected to have enough
time to read and keep up with the IAB mailing list discussions.
The IAB executive director, although non-voting, does participate
in IAB technical discussions.  While the executive director
does have the clerical work to track, they're less likely to
get stuck with IAB document editing tasks, so on balance the
time committment and overall participation is probably about the
same as any other actively-involved IAB member.

Hope that helps,

Leslie.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:41:06 -0400

Thanks to all those who considered volunteering for this position!

And, I'm pleased to announce that Phil Roberts will be taking
up the post.

Thanks,
Leslie.