Subject: Summer of Code: Event notification service for the IETF

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Apr 2006 20:36:32 -0400

The IETF Tools team is looking for student applicants to work on a
Summer of Code project in which an event notification service for the
IETF would be created.  The likely mentor for the project is
Henrik Levkowetz.  The project will be done with Internet2 as the
mentoring organization.

If you know of students who might be interested in participating,
please pass this along to them.  If you are a student with some coding
experience and interest in open-source development, please consider
applying.  Assuming the project is successful, Google will pay the
student doing it $4500.  The deadline for applications is May 8, 2006.

The project description follows (from
http://transport.internet2.edu/soc2006/ideas.html).

    Summary: Put together an event notification service for the IETF
    where people can subscribe through a web interface for
    personalized notifications, and provide notifications through any
    of the following mechanisms: RSS, Atom, Mail, and Web-pages
    (individually customized).  This work will be done in
    collaboration with the IETF Tools team.

    Background: Work in the IETF is carried out in more than 100
    different working groups, with around 2000 active document at any
    given time.  For any single participant, only a small subset of
    this work is of immediate interest, but when anything happens that
    is of interest, he would like to know as early and clearly as
    possible.  The subset of interest to any one participant is also
    generally different from that of all other participants, so
    individually customized notifications would be optimal.

    A browsable view of the process is available through document
    overview pages for individual working groups, but this needs to be
    complemented with a notification service for events such as draft
    updates, new drafts, last call announcements, published RFCs, new
    working groups, etc.

    Some constraints: Individual events will be provided in a single
    format, to be agreed on.  The notification service should store
    events by time and classification, and offer a web interface by
    which individual subscription to a subset of events is possible.
    The interface should dynamically build the offered selection
    criteria based on the field types already seen in incoming events.
    Events should be transformed from the canonical format to RSS,
    Atom, Mail, and HTML format.  There is a strong preference for the
    system to be coded in Python.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

This message is designed to be viewed at an angle of 45 degrees.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf