Subject: RE: [[email-masked]: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:31:03 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>

    > only requires a layer of indirection. We can certainly engineer that!

Yes, but we aren't. E.g. it would be really wonderful if we had some way of
finding out what range(s) of addresses belonged to XYZ Corporation, so that
the configuration of the firewall of their commercial partner, ABC
Corporation, could contain a single entry for "XYZ Corp's addresses", rather
than list the actual addresses. As long as we are configuring things with
actual addresses, it will remain incredibly painful to change them.

Even worse, we're going in the *other* direction, and instead of adding
another level of indirection, to provide new functionality, we're loading
additional functionality (PI) onto the same old level of naming we already
have. Architecturally-speaking, this design gets an 'F'.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf