Subject: RE: Reality (was RE: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:47:51 -0700

Brian,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>>                v
>>                |
>>                /\
>> +---------+   /  \   +------------+
>> | Upgrade |__/ ?  \__| Give money |
>> | To IPv6 |  \    /  | to Michel  |
>> +---------+   \  /   +------------+
>>                \/
>> 
>> Mmmmm. Tough call.

> Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Yes, it is. It's called long term strategic investment
> versus short term profit taking. That's a very tough call.

If Boeing had rolled out IPv6 in 1993-1994 when Eric wrote RFC1687 it
would not have done anything to their bottom line as of today and wasted
my money. If they had deployed 5 years ago there still would be no
return as of today and if they deployed today I see no return (in
reduced operating costs) for 5 years. As a shareholder my best interest
so far has been not to deploy. My instructions are: keep an eye on the
situation, if there is a change in conditions that means IPv6 buck could
bring bang _then_ go for it; in the mean time put my cash where it does
bring some bang, either by developing new products or by paying me
dividends 4 times a year.

As long as other shareholders (especially the ones who work there and
likely have scores of unvested shares) think the same way, this is the
deal. 

> Eliot Lear wrote:
> Boeing has enough devices and networks that it could on its own
> probably exhaust a substantial portion of remaining IPv4 address
> space we have now.  They certainly have more than a /8's worth,
> and that poses RFC1918 problems

Boeing has 159,000 employees. RFC1918 space is 17,891,328 addresses.
That's more than 100 IP addresses per employee, I think Eric can manage.

That being said, I do acknowledge that larger companies such as global
ISPs do have a problem with the RFC1918 space being too small. This
brings the debate of what to do with class E, either make it extended
private space or make it global unicast.

Michel.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:17:21 -0700 (PDT)

> my money.

If Boeing had rolled out IPv6 in 1993-1994 by now they would have an efficient
production and real time inventory management; would have saved billions in costs
and were giving (at least part of it) to Michel.

As a shareholder you may want to think how you vote during the next shareholders
meeting.

Cheers,

[email-masked] 

> private space or make it global unicast.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:36:40 +0200

> private space or make it global unicast.

I think we bite the bullet and go to IPv6.  Screwing around with Class E
address space at this late date is counterproductive.  Say what you will
about v6.  It *does* have more bits.

Eliot

---

From: Peter Dambier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:52:28 +0200

>private space or make it global unicast.

When develloping IASON, first I found out, CISCO boxes would not allow me
to use class E addresses nor would HP boxes.

Next I found out Linux boxes would not either.

I guess most boxes will not allow you to use these addresses.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

-- 
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium
Graeffstrasse 14
D-64646 Heppenheim
+49(6252)671-788 (Telekom)
+49(179)108-3978 (O2 Genion)
+49(6252)750-308 (VoIP: sipgate.de)
mail: [email-masked]
mail: [email-masked]
http://iason.site.voila.fr/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/iason/

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:56:24 +0200

> I guess most boxes will not allow you to use these addresses.

Use a Mac.  :-)

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet 240.240.240.240 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast  
240.240.240.255

(Also the only major OS that has IPv6 turned on by default.)