Subject: IPv6 Subsets?

From: "Timothy J. Salo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:43:35 -0500 (CDT)

Ok, Ok, I probably haven't been paying attention, but...

If a device implements a subset of IPv6, (e.g., no IPsec, no mobile
IP), is it generally understood that this device "implements IPv6"?

Has a standard subset of IPv6 been defined for very low-end devices
that simply can't implement a full IPv6?

As far as I can tell, we are at least informally moving towards
IPv6-over-some-oddball-medium solutions that only implement a subset
of IPv6, but it is not clear to me that they are always the same subset.
It is also not clear to me whether this matters much.

-tjs

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: "Juha Wiljakka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:44:58 +0300

Timothy,

You might want to have a look at RFC3315.

My personal view is that mobile devices implemented according to

Best Regards,

---

From: "Juha Wiljakka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:51:19 +0300

Hi,

My apologies, the previous message was sent all too early by mistake...

What I ment to say, you might want to have a look at RFC3316. 3GPP is
using it as a reference for Release 5 (and onwards) cellular hosts. My
personal view is that mobile devices which have IPv6 stack (well, that
is typically dual IPv4/IPv6 stack...) implemented according to it
"implement IPv6".

Best Regards,
                         Juha W.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:14:20 +0300

RFC 4294 contains the most recent summary information
on what nodes should support from IPv6. The detailed
MUST/SHOULD/MAY requirements are in the IPv6
specifications themselves.

(RFC 3316 that Juha pointed to is a discussion of issues
related to running IPv6 over cellular interfaces. The
type of the interface that you are using does impact what
you need to support, at least in terms of what IPv6 over
Foo you need to support, what configuration options
make sense, etc.)

--Jari

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:12:46 +0200

You might also want to look at RFC 4294
(IPv6 Node Requirements).

    Brian