Subject: IETF lists as RSS?

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:24:22 +0200

Is it possible to read content of the IETF lists (WG discussions,
announce, etc) as RSS feeds?  I think the IETF doesn't provide it as
such, but is there maybe a gateway mailman-rss that would allow to read
it so?

Please excuse if the technical formulation is aberrant, I'm just getting
familiar with RSS feeds.  The problem I have is that I'm subscribed to a
relatively many IETF (and non-IETF) lists, some that I browse more often
than others, and the mailbox is quickly exceeding my provider's
capacities, as well as many other providers' I guess.  Changing
subscriptions to all lists is painful (even if IETF offers a IETF-wide
change option, not all do) and I wouldn't go through it again, but maybe
one last time.

Any suggestion about this welcome,

Alex

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:27:13 -0700

> change option, not all do) and I wouldn't go through it again, but maybe
Perhaps this is unhip and in the way, but mail2news might be a solution
here.

       Mike, gnus r00lz

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:22:27 -0700

Many IETF lists are archived at gmane.org, which does feeds for most 
or all of the lists it collects.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:38:30 +0200

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:24:22PM +0200,
 Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 22 lines which said:

> announce, etc) as RSS feeds?

It would be strange to use one of the many RSS formats while there is
a technically superior IETF standard (RFC 4287).

This being said, discussion mailing lists (not announce mailing lists)
are not very well handled by current syndication formats, mostly
because of links between messages of a same thread. See
draft-snell-atompub-feed-thread-04.txt for a possible solution.

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:57:32 +0200

Michael Thomas wrote:
>> announce, etc) as RSS feeds?  I think the IETF doesn't provide it 
>> as such, but is there maybe a gateway mailman-rss that would allow 
>> to read it so?
>> 
>> Please excuse if the technical formulation is aberrant, I'm just 
>> getting familiar with RSS feeds.  The problem I have is that I'm 
>> subscribed to a relatively many IETF (and non-IETF) lists, some 
>> that I browse more often than others, and the mailbox is quickly 
>> exceeding my provider's capacities, as well as many other 
>> providers' I guess.  Changing subscriptions to all lists is painful
>>  (even if IETF offers a IETF-wide change option, not all do) and I 
>> wouldn't go through it again, but maybe one last time.
>> 
> Perhaps this is unhip and in the way, but mail2news might be a 
> solution here.

Ah, gnus, long-time user here, but for some reason converted to mozilla...

Anybody did this mail-rss conversion with mailbucket.org?

Alex

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:01:50 -0700

> a technically superior IETF standard (RFC 4287).

It would certainly be strange, at the IETF, for anyone to suggest
using a technology that is known to be pervasively deployed and
functional.

-- 
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:05:12 +0200

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:01:50PM -0700,
 David W. Hankins <[email-masked]> wrote 

> using a technology that is known to be pervasively deployed and

Atom (RFC 4287) and the various RSS (which one to use, by the way?)
are deployed and are functional.

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:35:46 +0200

> are deployed and are functional.

For RSS the one that Feed Validator likes, for draft/RFC annnounces,
check: http://community.unfix.org/feeds/

No per-user-subscribe yet though, as I unfortunatly broke my right
shoulder and that will take some time to mend and typing with one hand
is not very speedy ;(

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: "Bill Fenner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:14:15 -0700

I wrote a poor-man's "archive to rss" some time ago for mhonarc.  I
never finished it because it wasn't clear it was what you really want
(e.g., how do you pick what messages appear in the feed, etc.) but if
someone wants to pick it up it'd be reasonably easy to change it to
output atom and start experimenting.

  Bill