Subject: Re: Planned experiment: A new mailing list for last-call discussions

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 15:35:43 -0700

Hi Barry,

I followed the plenary meeting during which a few persons suggested 
that the Last Call messages be moved to another mailing list due to 
the volume of emails unrelated to Last Calls.  The number of monthly 
Last Call emails is usually in the single digits.  Every now and then 
the mailing list is used for announcements, e.g. blog posts, IAB call 
for comments, or some proposed change like the one which you sent.  I 
find it odd that emails which could be described as announcements are 
sent to this mailing list when there is another mailing list for that purpose.

The issue, previously, was that a person sending a message to the 
mailing list might receive a scornful reply in response to an on-list 
comment.  Will that be evaluated as part of the planned experiment?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:55:29 -0500

On 13 Sep 2019, at 17:35, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Last Call emails is usually in the single digits.

SM, I think you misunderstood the point of the new list. It's not for 
Last Call announcements; it's for Last Call discussion (i.e., individual 
Last Call comments, area review team reviews, and all of their 
respective replies). Those messages number 50 to 100 per month. Moving 
those messages to a separate list is the experiment.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 10:40:16 -0700

Hi Pete,
At 09:55 AM 14-09-2019, Pete Resnick wrote:
>SM, I think you misunderstood the point of the new list. It's not 
>for Last Call announcements; it's for Last Call discussion (i.e., 
>individual Last Call comments, area review team reviews, and all of 
>their respective replies). Those messages number 50 to 100 per 
>month. Moving those messages to a separate list is the experiment.

Sorry for not being clear.  The comment about announcements was about 
the ones which are usually sent to ietf@, e.g.
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/f7jzS-V6D4xIgXsGFELx1zx0Kn4
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/7q7vwduyP5JeLqm--YviPU-4uto

For what it worth, those messages do not generate that many 
responses.  I understood [1] that the experiment was about moving 
those messages to a new mailing list.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. That does not mean that the clarification which you provided is not helpful.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 13:53:39 -0400

SM, the messages you point to are entirely unrelated to IETF Last
Call, and will not be affected by this experiment: they will remain on
this list, [email-masked].

Barry

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 11:08:46 -0700

Hi Narry,
>this list, [email-masked].

Yes.

Please see the question in the last paragraph in the message at 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/L0k7JbcSzrrKvGnbS0i_Ouurq5s 
It is about future Last Calls and the planned experiment.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy