Subject: Re: Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?

From: "Scott Weeks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 13:55:26 -0700

--- [email-masked] wrote:
From: Shyamaprasad Bandyopadhyay <[email-masked]>

I should have been little more careful.
I saw the upper part of the graph crossing
800000 mark. I thought that might
be the current state. Well, it may be
somewhere in between 700000 &
800000, but not very much away from the
800000 mark.
------------------------------------------------

Just as an FYI...

Telia at 11am 9/4/2019 HST (-10 GMT): 756902

scott

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 17:56:31 -0400

> 800000, but not very much away from the

... and averaging across all Route Views collectors that are sending
what could be considered full tables[0], we get 758108... but this
isn't actually a useful metric - it doesn't reflect, well, anything...
More useful are the metrics are the "Active BGP Entries" graphs like
https://bgp.potaroo.net/as6447/

But, then again, this also isn't really a particularly useful metric
-- a more useful metric is "Does the total number of routes *that I
need* actually fit in the equipment *that I actually have*" - anything
else is just counting angels on a pin.
Yes, I'd like it if my cisco AGS+ could still take multiple full
feeds, but then again I'd also like it if my Commodore 64[1] could
stream 4K Netflix -- the world has changed, and tables grow, etc.

W
[0]: sshpass -p rviews ssh [email-masked] "show ip bgp sum"
| awk '/Neighbor/{f=1}f' | awk '{print $10}'  | egrep '^\d{6}' | egrep
 '^[678]' | awk 'BEGIN {sum=0;cnt=0} ; {sum+=$1;cnt++} END {print
sum/cnt}'
[0]: Actually ZX Spectrum, but very few people know what those are...

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 07:52:48 +0900

Warren Kumari wrote:

> .... and averaging across all Route Views collectors that are sending

It is useless to discuss the exact number only to waste ML BW.

What's important is that the number is increasing and the increase is
accelerating.

 > the world has changed, and tables grow, etc.

The important change is that Moore's law is ending.

						Masataka Ohta

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 10:47:50 +0200

> [0]: Actually ZX Spectrum, but very few people know what those are...

ZX Spectrum was a home computer.  I dont see what it has to do with full 
tables, because it was not connected to the Internet.

Or maybe its RAM being 64k means that a full table is 64k, and that is 
what is sent by all Route Views collectors?

Alex