Subject: RFC Editor model discussion venue

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 08:15:14 -0700

Dear Colleagues,

In the message I sent last Friday on behalf of the IAB, I noted that list
confirmation of any tentative conclusions from IETF 106 would take place on
[email-masked].  This was following a consultation with
Heather during the plenary at IETF 105 on where to continue the
conversation; her response then was to direct discussion to the
rfc-interest list.  She was in the meetings where the current plan was
discussed and had the opportunity to review the IAB message before it was
sent out, so I believe she concurred with the use of
[email-masked] for follow-up discussion between then and now.

When I sent the message from the IAB to both the IETF list and the
rfc-interest list, I set the reply-to to the rfc-interest list.  That
worked much less well than it should have as a signal, in part because the
iab-chair role account is not subscribed to the rfc-interest list and the
message was held in moderation.  That meant that the message to the IETF
list was seen first and folks reacted there.  Sorry for any confusion that
resulted.

While folks can of course direct messages to the RSOC or the IAB without
cc'ing one of the lists, I do encourage folks interested in tracking this
discussion over the long term to subscribe to rfc-interest and contribute
there.  That list has folks from outside the IETF as subscribers, and we
wish to be inclusive of them in this process.

regards,

Ted Hardie
(without having confirmed that this is a consensus opinion of the IAB)