Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-compression-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 07:05:35 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Compressed Data Content Type for S/MIME
	Author(s)	: P. Gutmann
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-compression-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 03-Dec-99
	
The Cryptographic Message Syntax data format doesn't currently contain
any provisions for compressing data before processing it.  Compressing
data before transmission provides a number of advantages including the
elimination of data redundancy which could help an attacker, speeding
up processing by reducing the amount of data to be processed by later
steps such as signing or encryption, and reducing overall message size.
This document defines a format for using compressed data as a CMS
content type.

This draft is being discussed on the 'ietf-smime' mailing list.  To
join the list, send a message to <[email-masked]> with the
single word 'subscribe' in the body of the message.  Also, there is a
Web site for the mailing list at <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime>.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-compression-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-compression-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-compression-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.