TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The End of Analog TV

Re: The End of Analog TV

Tim@Backhome.org
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:17:17 -0700

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Monty Solomon wrote:

>> During the same period consumers were supposed to buy digital
>> television receivers. That part didn't work.

> The life of a TV set could be anywhere between five and thirty-five
> years. There's a heck of a lot of old TV sets out there still in
> service, some surprisingly old. Many people use old B&W portables as
> spare room or attic TVs.

> Why the heck should consumers be forced to upgrade to get the same old
> broadcast garbage?

Depends what the converter will cost. Anyone know the price?

> There are also a lot of TV viewers out there who don't watch a lot of
> TV. Their TV sets last a long time. They don't have cable. What
> will become of them?

> Ironically, back in the 1950s, the choice of what color TV
> transmission protocol was determined on compatibility with existing
> B&W sets, even though there were far fewer sets out there.

> I guess the selfish technocrats and greedy businesses just can't wait
> to get their mitts on the radio frequencies to play with.

> It amazes me that the more cable channels they offer to me the less TV
> I watch. They just throw out utter junk, and get rid of the little
> good stuff they once had. It duplicates each other -- "Cheers" is
> broadcast and cablecast on numerous channels. And for something I
> pay and pay dearly for they throw in tons of commercials -- more than
> commercial TV does.

HDTV reopens the door for my wife and I (senior citizens). There are
some great travel type programs in HD that become worth watching
because of color, clarity, and resolution.

> But they make a heck of a lot of money doing this.

Go to Next message: Not Public: "Re: Lingo (Primus Telecommunications) Horror Story"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: VOIP: 911 - Vonage vs Time-Warner Roadrunner"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "The End of Analog TV"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page