TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon POTS

Re: Verizon POTS

Michael D. Sullivan (userid@camsul.example.invalid)
Tue, 08 Nov 2005 02:26:07 GMT

Joe wrote:

> I get a dial tone. However, when I dial a number, I get a message
> saying to call Verizon if I want telephone service.

That's known as soft dial tone. You can call 911 (and maybe the
telco's business office), but nothing else. It's required in many
places, for emergency situations. It also lets you know that the
phone line is electrically connected to the CO.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)
(Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)

Go to Next message: GlowingBlueMist: "Re: Grokster Downloading Service to Shut Down"
Go to Previous message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Replacement for Siemens Gigaset"
May be in reply to: Joe: "Verizon POTS"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page