Subject: Quick follow-up to discussion on fees for IETF 108

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 09:52:39 +1200

This is a quick follow-up to the discussion about registration fees for IETF 108.

The LLC board met earlier today to consider the community feedback received so far and will spend the next few days reviewing the situation and consulting with the IESG with the aim of responding to the community early next week.

Jay

-- 
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director
[email-masked]

---

From: "Mehmet Ersue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 15:16:41 +0300

Dear Jay, All,

I would like to use this opportunity to give feedback on the unfortunate
fees for remote participation.

IETF has many longstanding and dedicated contributors who do not have an
employment but still contribute to different IETF areas. For example I
retired 1.5 years ago and am a member of the OPS directorate as well as the
secretary of the YANG Doctors team. Since retirement I was attending nearly
all meetings remotely. The only meeting I could attend physically was the
last Prague meeting where I paid the travel and a day ticket privately. The
rest of the meeting I was following from the hotel room remotely.

I think a limited Fee Waiver Program is not really helpful. What if there
are more than 100 people asking for a waiver which all are valid cases of
dedicated contributors? 

I believe IETF should be interested to keep its longstanding members which
do useful contributions.

There are easy ways to verify whether a person is indeed not able to pay the
meeting fee so that misuse can be avoided.

Thanks,

Mehmet

> -----Original Message-----

> From: ietf <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Jay Daley

> Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 12:53 AM

> To: ietf <[email-masked]>

> Subject: Quick follow-up to discussion on fees for IETF 108

> The LLC board met earlier today to consider the community feedback

> received so far and will spend the next few days reviewing the situation
and

> consulting with the IESG with the aim of responding to the community early

> next week.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 08:36:09 -0400 (EDT)

Fees for remote participation will lead to a spectacular fail, IMHO.  If 
the goal is to break the proper functioning of this body, remote 
participation fees will go a long way to ensuring that.