Subject: Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 10:37:50 -0700

Hi Toerless,
At 04:57 PM 12-06-2020, Toerless Eckert wrote:
>We already have a not very transparent system of patronage via
>options such as host, global host or whatever it is. Sure, its somewhere
>deep in some ISOC/LLC/IETC/meeting-committe/... web-pages. I for once
>would like to see a web page that lists all financial contributions.
>
>If someone wants a contribution to be anonymous, then the name
>of the contribution is hidden, but the contribution is shown.
>
>Adding more options for patronage would IMHO rather increase
>contributions on the lower end.
>
>More transparency comes at the cost, but i think more transparency is
>good for IETF.

Christian's example of operas and museums may be useful to get a 
general sense of how patronage works.  I don't think that it is 
directly applicable to the IETF as charitable organizations don't 
usually fund standards development.

The LLC only received $70,000 in sponsorship for the first quarter of 
the year.  After taking a look at the information which is published, 
I would say that it is likely that the IETF would run into financial 
difficulties.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy