Subject: Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 16:27:43 -0600

Just chiming in ...

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 10:15 AM Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On 27/01/2021 21:35, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
> > On 1/27/21 2:30 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
> >
> >> Can an AD job be learned in under a year?
> > In my experience it takes 6-12 months.
> I concur. It takes about 9-12 months to get comfortable with doing the job.
>

My co-ADs and working group chairs would be better placed to confirm this,
but I thought I came up to speed fairly quickly, especially considering
that I was selected after the first IETF meeting in 2013, but I'd also
served on Harald's General Area Directorate, had served on the General Area
Review Team (which was a terrific place to practice reviewing documents
across the IETF) for six years, and had served on the IAB for three years.
And I'm still comfortable saying "at least 6 months".

I'd be curious about estimates from more recent ADs, because my impression
was that having a working group chair view of the datatracker has been
useful (especially because so many confirmed candidates have been working
group chairs), and having area review teams in most(?) areas has been
helpful, but I don't have a clear view about that.

Best,

Spencer