Subject: Re: NomCom 2021-2022 Call for Volunteers

From: Joey S <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 18:58:22 -0600

Hi nomcom chair, IETF,

Will any steps be taken this year to achieve a better distribution
of the nomcom volunteers?

As I recall, all volunteers' information go to a single pool from
where the randomization tool selects the ones that will participate
in the elections process, which, in my opinion, puts the
demographics of the majority of the volunteers at an advantage,
being males over females, or global north over global south, just a
couple of examples.

I believe a simple approach could be to have more pools from where
the randomization tool does its magic, but if people have other
ideas or ways to approach this topic, it'd be great to discuss
further.

Thank you,

--
Joey Salazar
Digital Sr. Programme Officer
ARTICLE 19
6E9C 95E5 5BED 9413 5D08 55D5 0A40 4136 0DF0 1A91

On 25-May-21 10:44 PM, NomCom Chair
2021 wrote:

The IETF NomCom appoints people to fill the open slots on the IETF LLC,
IETF Trust, the IAB, and the IESG.
Ten voting members for the NomCom are selected in a verifiably random
way from a pool of volunteers. The more volunteers, the better chance we
have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF
population.

The details of the operation of the NomCom can be found in BCP 10 (RFC
8713). RFC 3797 details the selection algorithm.

Special for this year RFC 8989 (one-off update to RFC 8713 / BCP 10)
tells us who is eligible to volunteer as anyone who satisfies any of the
three following conditions:

Path 1: The person has attended 3 out of the last 5 IETF meetings,
including meetings held entirely online. For the 2021-2022 NomCom,
the meetings concerned will be IETF 106, 107, 108, 109, and 110

Path 2: The person has been a Working Group Chair or Secretary within
the 3 years prior to the day the first call for NomCom volunteers is sent
to the community

Path 3: The person has been a listed author or editor (on the front
page) of at least two IETF Stream RFCs within the last 5 years prior to
the day the call for NomCom volunteers is sent to the community. An
Internet-Draft that has been approved by the IESG and is in the RFC
Editor queue counts the same as a published RFC, with the relevant date being
the date the draft was added to the RFC Editor queue.

[Normative details are in RFC8989.]

You can check your eligibility at: https://datatracker.ietf.org/accounts/profile/
(after logging in, you will see your eligibility displayed in the field
"Nomcom Eligible").

If you qualify, please volunteer as explained below. However, please
remember that anyone appointed to this NomCom will not be considered as
a candidate for any of the positions that the 2021-2022 NomCom is
responsible for filling.

Details of Positions to Be Filled (details to be finalized)

An asterisk (*) next to a person's name indicates they do not intend to accept renomination.

LLC Board (3-year term)
• Jason Livingood

IETF Trust (3-year term)
• Kathleen Moriarty

IAB (2-year term)
• 6 positions

IESG (2-year term)
• 1 position, ART AD
• 1 position, INT AD
• 1 position, OPS AD
• 1 position, RTG AD
• 1 position, SEC AD
• 1 position, TSV AD

The primary activity for this NomCom will begin in July 2021 and should
be completed by January 2022. The NomCom will have regularly scheduled
conference calls to ensure progress. There will be activities to collect
requirements from the community, review candidate questionnaires, review
feedback from community members about candidates, and talk to
candidates.

While being a NomCom member does require some time commitment it is also
a very rewarding experience.

As a member of the NomCom it is very important that you be willing and
able to attend meetings either remotely or in-person during IETF 112
(Madrid 6-12 November 2021) to conduct interviews. Remote attendance
will be supported whether or not there are in-person meetings.
Orientation and setting of the NomCom schedule will be done by
videoconference during the week 26-30 July (exact time and date to be
determined after NomCom membership is finalized on July 15), prior to
IETF 111.

Please volunteer by sending me an email before 23:59 UTC on Wednesday
June 23, 2021, as follows:

To: [email-masked]
Subject: NomCom 2021-22 Volunteer

Please include the following information in the email body:

Your Full Name:
// as you write it on the IETF registration form

Current Primary Affiliation:
// Typically what goes in the Company field
// in the IETF Registration Form

Emails:
// Email addresses used to register for the past 5 IETF meetings
// Preferred email address first

You should expect an email response from me within 5 business days
stating whether or not you are qualified. If you don't receive this
response, please re-send your email with the tag "RESEND"" added to the
subject line.

If you are not yet sure if you would like to volunteer, please consider
that NomCom members play a very important role in shaping the leadership
of the IETF. Questions by email or voice are welcome. Volunteering for
the NomCom is a great way to contribute to the IETF!

You can find a detailed timeline on the NomCom web site at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/nomcom/2021/

Within the next few weeks, I may add more details on the timeline, as
well as details of the randomness seeds to be used for the RFC 3797
selection process.

Thank you!

Gabriel Montenegro
nomcom-chair-2021 at ietf dot org

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:46:54 -0400

Hi,

I have nothing official to do with the nomcom this year (so far) but see below:

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 8:59 PM Joey S
<joeysalazar=[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi nomcom chair, IETF,
>
> Will any steps be taken this year to achieve a better distribution of the nomcom volunteers?
>
> As I recall, all volunteers' information go to a single pool from where the randomization tool selects the ones that will participate in the elections process, which, in my opinion, puts the demographics of the majority of the volunteers at an advantage, being males over females, or global north over global south, just a couple of examples.

I would say the operation of the nomcom is currently governed by RFC
8713 https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8713 "IAB, IESG, IETF
Trust, and IETF LLC Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process:
Operation of the IETF Nominating and Recall Committees". In my
opinion, this RFC requires procedures you are objecting to.

> I believe a simple approach could be to have more pools from where the randomization tool does its magic, but if people have other ideas or ways to approach this topic, it'd be great to discuss further.

I actually have some ideas but there is a specific mailing list,
[email-masked], for the discussion of changes to the nomcom
process.
See https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-nomcom

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

> On 25-May-21 10:44 PM, NomCom Chair 2021 wrote:
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 14:02:50 +1200

Donald, a factual note in line below:

On 02-Jun-21 13:46, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> Operation of the IETF Nominating and Recall Committees". 

Modified for this year, and probably next year, by https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8989 "Additional Criteria for Nominating Committee Eligibility", but this does not directly affect:

> In my

   Brian

> 
>> I believe a simple approach could be to have more pools from where the 
randomization tool does its magic, but if people have other ideas or ways 
to approach this topic, it'd be great to discuss further.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 23:22:46 -0400

Yes, these references were in the announcement. So, thanks, Joey for the suggestions, but the rules are set and agreed upon per those documents for this year. 

I second Donald's suggestion that you might want to follow up in the relevant venue for such a discussion per his guidance: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-nomcom

Thanks,

Gabriel

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ietf <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Brian E Carpenter
> Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 22:03
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: NomCom 2021-2022 Call for Volunteers
> 
> >> As I recall, all volunteers' information go to a single pool from where the
> randomization tool selects the ones that will participate in the elections
> process, which, in my opinion, puts the demographics of the majority of the
> volunteers at an advantage, being males over females, or global north over
> global south, just a couple of examples.
> >
> Modified for this year, and probably next year, by https://www.rfc-
> editor.org/info/rfc8989 "Additional Criteria for Nominating Committee
> Eligibility", but this does not directly affect:
> 
> > In my
> >> the
> randomization tool does its magic, but if people have other ideas or ways to
> approach this topic, it'd be great to discuss further.
> >
> >  2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA  [email-masked]
> >
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Joey Salazar
> >> The IETF NomCom appoints people to fill the open slots on the IETF
> >> LLC, IETF Trust, the IAB, and the IESG.
> >> way from a pool of volunteers. The more volunteers, the better chance
> >> we have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of the
> >> IETF population.
> >>
> >> The details of the operation of the NomCom can be found in BCP 10
> >> (RFC 8713). RFC 3797 details the selection algorithm.
> >>
> >> tells us who is eligible to volunteer as anyone who satisfies any of
> >> the three following conditions:
> >>
> >> the 3 years prior to the day the first call for NomCom volunteers is
> >> sent to the community
> >>
> >> page) of at least two IETF Stream RFCs within the last 5 years prior
> >> to the day the call for NomCom volunteers is sent to the community.
> >> An Internet-Draft that has been approved by the IESG and is in the
> >> RFC Editor queue counts the same as a published RFC, with the
> >> relevant date being the date the draft was added to the RFC Editor queue.
> >>
> >> You can check your eligibility at:
> >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/accounts/profile/
> >> (after logging in, you will see your eligibility displayed in the
> >> field "Nomcom Eligible").
> >>
> >> remember that anyone appointed to this NomCom will not be considered
> >> as a candidate for any of the positions that the 2021-2022 NomCom is
> >> responsible for filling.
> >>
> >> The primary activity for this NomCom will begin in July 2021 and
> >> should be completed by January 2022.  The NomCom will have regularly
> >> scheduled conference calls to ensure progress. There will be
> >> activities to collect requirements from the community, review
> >> candidate questionnaires, review feedback from community members
> >> about candidates, and talk to candidates.
> >>
> >> While being a NomCom member does require some time commitment it is
> >> also a very rewarding experience.
> >>
> >> As a member of the NomCom it is very important that you be willing
> >> and able to attend meetings either remotely or in-person during IETF
> >> 112 (Madrid 6-12 November 2021) to conduct interviews. Remote
> >> attendance will be supported whether or not there are in-person meetings.
> >> response, please re-send your email with the tag "RESEND"" added to
> >> the subject line.
> >>
> >> If you are not yet sure if you would like to volunteer, please
> >> consider that NomCom members play a very important role in shaping
> >> the leadership of the IETF.  Questions by email or voice are welcome.
> >> Volunteering for the NomCom is a great way to contribute to the IETF!
> >>