Subject: SONIC - OpenRAN "5G" and IP at the edge

From: Christian de Larrinaga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 16:03:03 +0100

I've regarded 5G as more spin than a technology. To some extent 
yesterday's launch by the UK Telco regulator of a lab (SONIC) for 
testing interop of OpenRAN supporting devices (5g sic!) which the 
UK is putting a lot of faith in, confirms this. As 5G has a lot of 
stools and gaps between them, whilst diversity is thin. 

My pref for building greater diversity in networks at the edge 
differs from the cellular model in that I'd like to see more open 
spectrum for wifi like end points and fibre / wireless p2p links 
to IXPs. I also don't see the point in carrying on with TDM dial 
support and all the overhead in the network for that but providing 
SIP /webrtc with SIP trunking / ss7 interconnects where legacy 
connections are needed. I might be unusual in that I never use my 
mobile minutes or SMS allowance as I use data.  

I noted a draft in 2019 that got all the way to 00 status that 
took a stab at IP and OpenRAN but I've not studied it in detail 
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-trossen-icnrg-internet-icn-5glan-00.html

presentation:    
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/106/materials/slides-106-icnrg-icn-5g-lan-chonggang-wang-00

What work is ongoing or product via IETF that might be presentable 
to test at SONIC and build out for networks? 

I am particularly thinking initially of application for "notspots" 
and avoiding OPENRAN / 3GPP core designs for front/backhaul, going 
straight to IP from the radio.

Any thoughts?

refs:

https://uk5g.org/discover/testbeds-and-trials/sonic/
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-high-tech-5g-lab-to-boost-network-security-and-resilience

https://www.5gradar.com/news/ofcom-and-the-uk-government-announce-new-sonic-initiative-for-open-ran
https://telecoms.com/510306/uk-government-bets-on-sonic-the-edge-hog/

Christian

-- 
Christian de Larrinaga

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 10:15:47 -0500

Hi,

What is notspots? "notspots"

Behcet
On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:04 AM Christian de Larrinaga <cdel=